Code of Conduct
WISTA is a worldwide networking organization for women at the management level in the maritime industry which facilitates the exchange of contacts, information, and experiences among its members; promotes and facilitates the education of its members; and provides liaison with related organizations worldwide.
The success of WISTA is dependent on the trust and confidence we earn from our members and the industry at large. We gain credibility by adhering to our commitments, displaying honesty and integrity, and reaching our goals through honorable conduct.
Guiding and Governing Principles
WISTA got its start in 1974 and has grown dramatically since that time. WISTA is managed by an elected Executive Committee (ExCo), which is accountable to all National WISTA Associations (NWAs) and WISTA members. ExCo is responsible for setting strategic objectives and working toward common goals for the betterment of the Association. As such, NWAs and their members are encouraged to bring to the attention of ExCo any issues that may have an adverse effect on WISTA.
WISTA, through its NWAs and their members, maintain and advance the integrity, honor, and dignity of WISTA and the maritime industry by:
- using their knowledge, experience and skill for the advancement of women in the maritime industry;
- striving to increase competence and further the education of women in the all segments of the maritime industry; and
- mentoring young women in the industry, whether formally or informally, and assisting them to join the industry.
Core Values, Vision and Mission
- Members of WISTA’s NWAs shall be honest and treat all members with dignity and respect;
- Members of WISTA’s NWAs shall respect the opinions of members, as well as the cultural differences amongst members;
- Members of WISTA’s NWAs shall work together cooperatively for the betterment of the Association and will not use WISTA for their own personal gain to the detriment of the Association;
- Members of WISTA’s NWAs shall strive to be known by the maritime industry as fair, honest, diligent, hardworking, and caring people with integrity;
- WISTA shall endeavor to advance the interests of women in the maritime industry and promote an exchange of contacts and experiences among the members of its NWAS, which could lead to new business and new business relationships;
- WISTA supports the founding of new NWAs to broaden networking opportunities and encourages cooperation among neighboring NWAs and regions, including sharing best practices and ideas to help all NWAs grow and be successful, for everyone’s benefit; and
- Members of WISTA’s NWAs shall strive to be professional, dynamic, open-minded, and committed in all aspects of their professional and personal lives.
National WISTA Associations are strongly encouraged to incorporate this Code of Conduct into their national codes and take appropriate action if they become aware of any breaches of this Code of Conduct by their members.
A PDF version of this document is available on KNOWLEDGE BASE section.